Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Hate

As a little girl, I remember so well being taught by my daddy not to "hate" people. This (among many other lessons) was very important to him. He doesn't even like the word "hate". As I grew and tested the waters of life, I became aware that it is okay to hate concepts, ideas, actions, etc...... or to at least dislike them strongly. So today, I will say that I hate cancer.

Cancer has entered the lives of two of our close family members this month. Scott's Grandfather, Mr. Chance, was found to have cancer in his stomach when they opened him up during a recent surgery. He spent a little over two weeks in the hospital and came home on Monday. They are not yet sure if there will be any treatment of his cancer, as he already has the same form of muscular dystrophy that Gary Wayne suffers from. His health may not be able to endure treatment. So, please pray for him as he regains strength at home.

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer last week. This is the same cancer that took the life of his father twelve short years ago. Dad regularly has blood work done. A recent blood test indicated that his PSA level was slightly elevated. Thankfully, he has a wonderful doctor who wanted to go ahead and check things out. After a biopsy, he was found to have cancer in three of the eighteen areas they tested. The positive side of this is that it has been detected early and is not a real large amount. Mom and Dad remain positive as they have been meeting with various doctors to discuss possible treatment plans. He does have several options, so now he just has to choose a course of treatment and endure it. Please pray for him as he makes this choice and begins treatment to get rid of this horrible, hated disease.

5 comments:

Alison said...

You know my heart breaks. I love your Pa more than most. I hate that this is going on in your family in two different ways. You guys will be in our prayers.

I love you,
alison

Emmy said...

Kerri, Just wanted to let you know that I'll be praying for your dad and Scott and Gary's granddad. Keep us updated! Love ya!

Rachel Lynn said...

Oh Kerri, I'm so sorry. I had no idea. I will definitely be praying for you and your family.

Amanda said...

I tear up thinking about Uncle Joe and all you guys have been through. Aunt Peggy being sick and of course, your Granddaddy. I will definitely be praying for all of you. If anything is needed, please don't hesitate to call.

Love ya!
Mandy

Brea said...

Kerri,

I, too, STRONGLY dislike cancer. We are very familiar with cancer, I was actually recently diagnosed with skin cancer although we don't usually tell people. They caught it early. I will be praying for your family, that they have the wisdom and peace to seek the right doctors, course of treatment, etc.